Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Movie survey

Thanks, Erik, for the tag. I appreciate it. Really, I do. (glare)

1. The total number of movies I own:

Seven that I can play (on DVD). I have about 20 others on VHS, but my VCR has developed a fondness for eating tapes. I should either replace the VCR (can you even buy VCRs anymore???) or get rid of the movies, but I haven’t yet.

2. The last movie I bought:

Ummm…I think it was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but I bought it a couple of years ago and I don’t own it anymore. I typically rent rather than buy, unless it’s a classic that I’m going to watch at least 100 times.

3. The last movie I saw:

Spiderwick Chronicles at the Garland. My friend Heidi L and I decided we had to get out and do something, and that’s what was playing at the second-run theater.

4. Five movies that mean something to me:

  1. The Sound of Music – One of my two favorite movies. Great music, sappy romance, action, adventure…this movie has it all! I took a “Sound of Music” tour in Austria, and whenever the tour guide got tired of talking, he played the soundtrack and everyone sang along. Trundling through the Austrian Alps with a busload of people singing “I Am Sixteen Going On Seventeen” was a surreal experience.

  2. Singin’ in the Rain – My other favorite movie. Whenever I need a pick-me-up, I watch the “Make ‘Em Laugh” scene with Donald O’Connor. It never fails to get me giggling.

  3. Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead – My parents used to go on vacation together for a few weeks in the summertime, leaving me and my four younger brothers at home. For a few years we had a live-in babysitter, then we transitioned to a part-time babysitter, and then as we got older they just left us home alone and asked neighbors to check in on us once in a while. (If they tried it these days, they probably would have been arrested for child abuse!) So one summer when my parents were on vacation, I drove my brothers into town to see this movie. It was just like what we were experiencing: parents gone, no babysitter, kids left to their own devices. We had a great time conspiring to sneak snacks into the theater, so the movie always makes me think of hanging out with my brothers.

  4. Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey – I know. But this was the first movie I went to see with just friends, where we drove ourselves to the theater and nobody’s parents were around. When I see this movie, it reminds me of that first taste of independence.

  5. Beauty and the Beast – The first movie I saw on a date! ‘Nuff said.

5. Tag five people and have them do this on their blogs:

Do I even know five people? Paul, if he reads this, because he’s The Movie Man. My sisters-in-law because I want to see what you have to say. Wendy because I know you don’t have enough to do. Or if you just want to do this, consider yourself tagged.

3 comments:

Megann said...

Ha haa, I tagged you again! Check out my blog for details.

Megann said...

Okay, I did your movie survey...:)

courtney said...

Oh man!!! If I don't do it I know some sort of curse is going to come to me...Maybe and E.S.D (Electronically transmitted Disease) Thanks alot...I'll eventually do it.