Saturday, November 6, 2010

City to the Sea

A few Saturdays ago (I'm playing catch-up here) I joined a few friends on the City to the Sea trek in Wellington, a trek that goes (surprisingly!) from the City to the Sea. In our case, though, we went from the Sea to the City. The trail winds through a bunch of connected parks and reserves and isn't always very well marked, so we got lost a lot. But Wellington was usually visible in the distance, so it's not like we were really "lost" (as in, never finding our way back home). It was supposed to be a 6-hour trek but only took us about 4 hours (including a stop for lunch) so we were proud of ourselves.

I would LOVE to live in one of these little bays!



It's hard to believe we were never more than a ten-minute walk from a bus stop.



It never rained on us, but it was gloomy like this all day. The sun came out briefly, for about two seconds, while we were having lunch. (The weather report had forecast a beautiful weekend. Somebody ought to sue weather people.)




Can I just say that parks in New Zealand beat the parks in the U.S., hands-down? This park had a flying fox, which initially I thought was just for kids until my friends started swinging on it. I had to do it too.



This thing is kind of like a teeter-totter, except that it's suspended and it swings.


There's also a three-story spiderweb, and a mini-dirtbike track for mini dirtbikes! I so wish I had gotten a picture of the 3-year-old riding his tiny little dirtbike around the track.

If this doesn't make you all want to come visit me, nothing will!

2 comments:

Dez said...

What an awesome park! We totally want to come see you!

Betty Heath said...

What fun!!